12 Dec TripAdvisor’s 10 Most Popular Tourist Attractions of 2018
Europe is home to many of the world’s most popular tourist attractions, with eight of the top 10 most booked sites of 2018, according to TripAdvisor.
Rome’s Colosseum, an ancient architectural marvel and the world’s largest amphitheater, came in at No. 1. Italy was a fan favorite, with the Vatican Museums of Rome and Venice’s Grand Canal also ranking in second and in 10th place, respectively.
While Spain’s Basílica de la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona broke a record for the most traveler reviews on the site back in 2017 with more than 100,000, the attraction came in at sixth place.
Two of the top 10 attractions came from the U.S.: New York City’s Statue of Liberty (No. 2) and San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge, one of the world’s longest suspension bridges (No. 7).
Since these attractions can get so busy, travelers can take advantage of select tours that allow for priority access, behind-the-scenes looks, and more.
Top 10 Most Popular Tourist Attractions:
1. The Colosseum in Rome, Italy: Book a skip-the-line ticket for a half half-day walking tour or a special-access ticket to get a behind-the-scenes look at areas like the Gladiator Gate and arena floor.
2. The Vatican Museums in Rome, Italy: See the Sistine Chapel before anyone else does as its key holder opens the doors of the Vatican with this waking up the Vatican small-group tour or see the pope with a ticket to the weekly Papal audience.
3. The Statue of Liberty in New York City: Take one of the first ferries out on this early-access, small-group tour to explore Ellis Island and the statue with a history-focused guide.
4. The Louvre Museum in Paris, France: Booking options include a walking tour that lets you skip the line to go straight to some of the museum’s most famous works without waiting, and quirky options like a museum family treasure hunt and a murder mystery experience.
5. The Eiffel Tower in Paris, France: Have a gourmet dinner at the Eiffel Tower or book the priority summit access pass to skip the lines and head straight to the second viewing platform.
6. Basilica de la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain: Booking a priority ticket or optional tower entry ticket will help you skip lines at this popular stop.
7. Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California: Combine bridge views with an Alcatraz visit on a Jail and Sail cruise or take this three-hour bike tour to peddle on the bridge and admire it from below.
8. Stonehenge in Wiltshire, England: See the inner circle, which most visitors often don’t see, on the Stonehenge Inner Circle Access Day Trip.
9. Palace of Versailles in Versailles, France: Take an exclusive VIP tour to learn how royalty lived in the palace back in the day.
10. The Grand Canal in Venice, Italy: This one-hour boat tour takes you a scenic ride for views of the attraction most tourists don’t get to see.